John Hoffman, MD
Dr. John Hoffman graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and holds a degree in medicine from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He also completed his internship and residency at the University of Wisconsin, before attending the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada, where he completed a Fellowship in Sports Medicine. Dr. Hoffman has been in private practice in the Quad Cities for almost 30 years and continues to do well over 500 total joints per year and has performed over 1,500 ACL reconstructions in his career. He has also served as the Orthopaedic Physician for Bettendorf High School for 10 years.
Dr. Hoffman has been an integral part of developing a Rapid Recovery Joint Program at Unity Point, that allows patients to leave the hospital in less then half the time needed on average nationally. As part of a statewide orthopedic collaborative, he educates and teaches other surgeons how to implement this unique program that was designed to specifically emphasize patient education, pain control and rapid recovery through a team approach to care delivery and research based clinical pathways. As Director of Outpatient Surgery at Mississippi Valley Surgery Center, he is one of only two surgeons in the state to perform total joint procedures in an ambulatory surgery center, Dr. Hoffman has further developed his protocol to allow for outpatient uni-compartmental joint replacements to be done on an outpatient basis and total joint surgeries to be done on a 23 hour overnight stay at Mississippi Valley Surgery Center.
Dr. Hoffman is a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Iowa Orthopedic Society
- Iowa Medical Society
- Scott County Medical Society
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
Dr. Hoffman is Board Certified by the following organization:
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Dr. Hoffman also obtained a Certificate of Additional Qualification in Sports Medicine from the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
Dr. Hoffman’s achievements
- Certified in Robotically Assisted Surgery
- Director of Outpatient Surgery at Mississippi Valley Surgery Center (MVSC)
- Creator of the Rapid Recovery Program at both MVSC and Trinity Medical Center
- Instrumental in helping MVSC be named a Center of Excellence – the only such facility in Iowa.
- Has performed over 5,000 joint replacements over the past 10 years.
- 1st in the State of Iowa to perform outpatient total joint surgery.
Contact Orthopaedic Specialists